Apply by: July 4, 2014
Organization: Protection International
Protection International (PI) is seeking to recruit a Protection Officer in Thailand.
PI is an international non-profit organization researching strategies and security management tools that protect human rights defenders and sharing its expertise in this area with people at risk for their human rights work all around the world. PI sees human rights defenders as agents of change who form a pillar of free and just societies. In many parts of the world, HRDs face threats from state and non-state actors for their human rights work. PI works with human rights defenders to develop strategies tailored to their profile and context.
The Protection Officer works with partners (human rights organisations, communities and individual human rights defenders) in improving their security management and strategies. PI has been working with partners focussing on issues related with community based defenders in contexts of exploitation of natural resources. The Protection Officer is part of a team of three and reports to the PI Representative in Thailand. The position based in Bangkok, (s)he travels regularly in the country.
- To assist PI Representative in Thailand to conduct security training sessions in Thailand and possibly other countries in the region;
- To conduct security trainings in Thailand according to time line and speed agreed with PI Representative;
- Liaising with community based HRDs and reporting to PI Representative
- To contribute on the documentation of human rights violations in Thailand for advocacy initiatives;
- To make logistical and administrative arrangements related to capacity building activities and other activities relevant to the work conducted by the Protection Desk Thailand
- Assisting in translations, report and requested by assist PI Representative in Thailand
- To propose adaptations of PI’s Training Manual for Human Rights Defenders according to specific requirements of local, national and regional context;
- To report on training sessions (including on their evaluation and to propose any recommendations on possible adaptations);
- To analyse and document the situation of HRDs and HROs at risk in Thailand and provide security advice;
- To assess training needs among target groups and identify areas of advocacy within the mandate of the Office in Thailand;
- To contribute to the development of advocacy activities and documents in coordination with the PI Representative in Thailand;
- To liaise with regional, national and/or local HRD organisations with a view to establishing or reinforcing relationships and possibly developing partnerships;
- To liaise with (I)NGOs and international bodies working in the region on the protection of human rights defenders;
- To collaborate and prepare reports for the PI Representative in Thailand on programmatic and thematic topics;
- To hand in, in a timely manner, financial reports related to the Protection Officer’s activities under supervision of the finance and administration officer in Bangkok;
- To contribute to the development of the organisation’s security plan, update it and abide by it;
- To keep abreast of the political situation in the country and contribute to the organizational political analysis;
Skills & Experience
- University degree in law, human rights, political science, social sciences or related field.
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Experience in human rights work in Thailand.
- Experience as educator/trainer.
- Excellent analytical and research skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain working relationship to achieve the goals of Protection International (PI)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, representational and negotiation skills.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Thai.
- Ability to work independently, high adaptability, ability to work under stress in a sensitive environment.
- Creativity/Initiative and good team player
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows applications, Excel format and power points
- Available for travel and flexible working hours.
A one-year contract with a four months’ probation period.
To apply for the position please send your resume, cover letter and names and contact details of 2 references before 24 June 2014 to the following email: [email protected] and include the subject line: “Application for Protection Officer in Thailand”. Interviews are scheduled to be held in the week of 25-30 June.
Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. John_Smith_CV.doc. Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.