Apply by: December 31, 2015
Organization: UPR Info
UPR Info is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation (NGO) with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and two regional offices: in Bangkok, Thailand, for Asia and in Nairobi, Kenya, for Africa. The organisation’s main goal is to ensure all stakeholders seize the opportunity and engage in the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) Process as an effective political mechanism to advance the realization of human rights on the ground.
Position: Programme Manager
Tentative starting date: 1st February 2016 (tbc)
Type of contract: Permanent contract
Salary: CHF 5’500 / month (negotiable)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Responsibilities and duties
- Participate in pro-active way to the Programme of “Follow up” and all activities directly or indirectly related thereto; http://www.upr-info.org/en/upr-process/follow-up
This includes organisation of broad workshops with CSOs and organisation of dialogue-days between CSOs, governments and all UPR stakeholders.
- Hold trainings for human rights defenders and make presentations about the UPR process ;
- Draft operational reports;
- Engage in fundraising activities;
- Assist the Executive Director and Programmes Director when necessary;
- The post will include numerous trips to African countries.
What we offer
- International environment;
- Contact with a great variety of actors;
- First-hand experience in the work and functioning of a small NGO;
- Deep involvement in the United Nations human rights system;
- Challenging work in a growing NGO;
- Possibility to expand your tasks depending on your commitment.
Qualifications and criteria
- Masters’ degree in international law, human rights, international relations, development, social sciences or other relevant academic field.
- 3-5 years work experience in the field of human rights;
- Excellent knowledge of the UPR and the UN Human Rights Council;
- Previous experience with project management;
- Previous experience in an NGO will be considered an asset;
- Previous experience with the UPR will be considered as a strong asset.
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Good command of French is an asset;
- Knowledge of any other UN languages will be considered an asset.
- Excellent programme/ project management skills;
- Pro-active person, self-motivated, positive attitude, strategic thinking and multi-tasking ability;
- Curiosity and capacity to contribute to the development of the NGO; it is expected that the candidate will be able to go beyond the scope of her/his assignment;
- Ability to work flexibly, under tight timelines and on multiple agendas simultaneously;
- Attention to detail and proven ability to work independently and effectively with minimum supervision;
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills;
- Good communication and public presentation skills;
- Excellent organisational and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, good networking and advocacy skills with various stakeholders (government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media, etc.);
- Good computer and internet skills, especially Excel;
- A good sense of humour, as the office is small.
Valid Swiss work permit, due to time constraints, will be an asset.
Please send your CV (2 pages maximum) and cover letter (1 page maximum) by Thursday 31st December 2015 to [email protected]. Only full applications will be considered.
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no emails or phone calls.
UPR Info is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnicity, disability, age, religion, marital status or sexual orientation.