Apply by: April 26, 2015
Organization: ALTSEAN - Burma
Altsean-Burma (the Alternative Asean Network on Burma), a Bangkok-based human rights group, works with a broad range of people from Southeast Asia and beyond, to promote the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma. We are known in the Burma movement for our campaigning and advocacy activities, our publications, and our training programs.
We are looking for a multi-skilled intern to join the research team for six (6) months, carrying out the following duties while maintaining a sense of humor.
This position will suit an individual who is committed to accuracy in their work; able to work quickly to meet deadlines; able to digest a high volume of information and retain the salient points; able to present information, summaries and analyses in a coherent structure; committed to the principles of English language grammar; comfortable working in close collaboration with a team of diverse people; and committed to observing the strict security protocols of the office.
The successful applicant would ideally start as soon as possible. Please note that research internships have led to long-term employment at Altsean-Burma and/or organizations in its network.
- Research and write briefing papers, and special reports on Burma.
- Draft new briefing notes and update existing ones as directed.
- Prepare summaries for the Burma Bulletin and other publications.
- Attend meetings and conferences.
- Other duties as directed.
TERMS OF CONTRACT:
- Monthly living allowance of 11,000 Thai baht.
- Allowance of up to 10,000 Thai baht during the internship to reimburse visa-related expenses.
- Basic accomodation and most meals.
- Minimum of 40 working hours per week, excluding public holidays (according to Thai calendar).
- A three-month probationary period.
Note: We will not cover any costs associated with travel to Bangkok to take up this internship. The applicant must possess a valid passport and be able to obtain visas to enter Thailand.
ENQUIRIES: Debbie Stothard, Coordinator. Tel + 661 686 1652 or [email protected]
TO APPLY (DEADLINE Sunday, April 26, 2015 (9pm Bangkok time):
Interested individuals should apply by email at [email protected] quoting the reference INT/RES in the subject line.
The application must include:
- A duly filled application form
- A complete resume/CV
Applications submitted in any other format will not be considered. Candidates will be required to submit a short written assignment to assess their writing skills and their ability to read and analyze information.
Note: Preference will be given to candidates who are already based in Thailand. We will consider contacting short-listed candidates prior to the deadline.
April 26: Deadline for applications.
April 27: Short-listed candidates notified.
May 2: Deadline for submission of written assignments.
May 4: Interviews of candidates and referees.
May 8: Final decision, offer made.