Apply by: July 30, 2015
Organization: Fortify Rights
Fortify Rights is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization that works to prevent and remedy human rights violations. The organization investigates human rights violations, engages people with power, and strengthens responses to abuses through trainings and collaborative support for human rights defenders. Fortify Rights currently works in Southeast Asia and is a registered organization in Switzerland and the United States. Founded in 2013, Fortify Rights began its work in Myanmar. The long-term vision of Fortify Rights is to replicate its two-person country-based model in countries beyond the Asia Pacific region in order to work closely with human rights defenders and communities to strengthen human rights throughout the world.
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Competitive with benefits
The Myanmar Human Rights Specialist implements Fortify Rights’ mandate to prevent and remedy human rights violations in Myanmar by conducting independent human rights research and documentation, engaging with decision-makers and people of influence, and working collaboratively with human rights defenders and affected communities to strengthen and support local initiatives. S/he leads the strategic direction of Fortify Rights’ work in Myanmar and works closely with the Executive Directors and Development Specialist to develop projects in line with the organizational mandate. The Myanmar Human Rights Specialist monitors human rights developments within Myanmar and serves as a focal point for representing the organization and providing information on the human rights situation. S/he develops positive working relationships with human rights defenders and affected communities in Myanmar and provides tailored, ongoing technical support, including trainings and workshops, to strengthen the work of partner organizations. The Myanmar Human Specialist reports to the Executive Directors, is an integral member of Fortify Rights’ young and growing team, and has with technical expertise to maximize and scale the organization’s impact.
- In collaboration with the Executive Directors, other human rights specialists, and the Development Specialist, develop a concrete and coherent country strategy aimed at preventing and remedying human rights violations through independent research and documentation, multi-level stakeholder engagement, and customized technical support to human rights defenders.
- Identify and investigate priority human rights issues through interviews, focus group discussions, site visits, document collection, secondary research, and other forms of both qualitative and quantitative evidence collection in line with best practices.
- Analyze and document human rights violations through written material and audio/visual mediums for both public and private distribution. Provide sound analysis of research findings within the framework of international human rights and humanitarian law along with concrete recommendations to address specific violations
- Monitor human rights practices in Myanmar and serve as a credible, reliable source of human rights information in Myanmar, both internally and externally.
- Draft and edit original written material, including internal or private memorandums, letters to governments or other stakeholders, press releases, long-form reports, submissions to the UN or other international bodies, op-eds, articles, and/or blogs, in a timely manner.
- Conduct strategic advocacy with government officials, elected representatives, members of the diplomatic community, representatives of UN and other international agencies, representatives of non-governmental organizations, and other key decision-makers, influencers, and stakeholders with a view towards addressing human rights concerns and improving the human rights environment in Myanmar.
- Represent the organization on human rights issues in Myanmar. Engage regularly with local and mainstream news media outlets, including online, print, television, radio, and other mediums. Respond in a timely and professional manner to requests for comments, interviews, and assistance from members of the media.
- Develop positive and supportive relationships with human rights defenders, organizations, and affected communities in Myanmar. Identify key partners to work with on a sustained basis to strengthen local responses to human rights abuses.
- Work with partners to identify objectives and develop strategies, reinforce strengths, and address weaknesses. Develop and conduct tailored trainings or participatory workshops, assist with research and documentation efforts, and implement other tasks to respond to the needs identified by partners.
- Work closely with the Development Specialist and Executive Directors to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the Development Specialist in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team, including the Executive Directors, Development Specialist, and other Human Rights Specialists, to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- Post-graduate degree in relevant fields or comparable work experience. At least five years of experience in human rights research, documentation, strategic advocacy, and engagement. Participatory training experience preferred.
- Excellent knowledge on the human rights situation in Myanmar. Experience researching and analyzing complex human rights issues in Myanmar. Demonstrated ability to produce high quality written material in a timely manner.
- Solid understanding of human rights and humanitarian law, and ability to apply human rights violations into the framework of human rights and humanitarian law.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills. Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people, including survivors and witnesses of abuse, media, government and high-ranking officials, UN and non-governmental organization representatives, and others. Ability to represent the organization both publicly and privately, particularly on human rights issues in Myanmar.
- Excellent public-speaking skills and ability to engage local and mainstream media outlets on human rights issues in Myanmar.
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with human rights defenders and affected communities. Ability to develop and facilitate participatory trainings and workshops and provide ongoing technical support to human rights defenders and partner organizations.
- Strong decision-making and ability to turn the organization’s priorities into impactful strategies.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and time management skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a flexibly structured team. A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment. A desire to implement innovation and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia. This may include travel to remote and potentially insecure areas.
- Fluency in written and oral English required. Additional language skills preferred.
To be discussed with short-listed candidates
Compensation & Benefits
To be discussed with short-listed candidates
How To Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] We may shortlist before the closing date advertised due to the urgency of the recruitment.
Note: Myanmar candidates are strongly encouraged to apply