Apply by: October 31, 2014
We are looking for a strong, dynamic and creative individual to lead EngageMedia’s new editorial project to enhance video outreach, engagement, and impact in Myanmar.
The Editorial Coordinator is responsible for supporting EngageMedia’s communications and outreach work in Myanmar through content curation, outreach and partnership building. By adding context and supporting media to curate content, and packaging it for delivery to media partners and campaigns, the Editorial Coordinator will assist social change media-makers achieve the impact they seek. The Editorial Coordinator is responsible for managing distribution of the curated content, including seeking new publicity channels. The role includes a strong emphasis on writing across a variety of media and for a variety of purposes.
This position is full-time and based in Yangon, Myanmar.
- To enhance the impact of human rights and environmental video from Myanmar via effective collection, curation, outreach and distribution
- To enhance the digital distribution skills of video activists and campaigners in Myanmar
- To develop a network of Myanmar video activists well versed in the strategic use of online video distribution tools as a means for creating social and environmental change
- To compile a body of online video materials for EngageMedia.org
- To expand access to, and the reach of, key video productions from Myanmar via subtitling and translation.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Curate media content from producers across Myanmar, including the addition of key supporting information to allow for easier uptake by other media
- Produce content; updates on news and events etc. from Myanmar for the EngageMedia.org website
- Develop partnerships with video activists, TV stations, citizen journalists, NGOs and mainstream media outlets to get content distributed
- Maintain communications with Myanmar community of volunteer translators/subtitles of citizen human rights and environmental video content
- Lead in project planning including developing a distribution, outreach and social engagement plan for EngageMedia work in Myanmar
- Assist in production of EngageMedia’s monthly newsletter, as well as contributing to EngageMedia online platforms
- Represent EngageMedia in online and offline forum to expand EngageMedia network and share our work with the larger community
- Assist in translation of existing materials for video advocacy workshops for use by Myanmar video community
- Assist with video advocacy workshops
- Translate and subtitle content via our Lingua community
- Assist in monitoring and evaluation of outreach, engagement, and impact targets
- Assist in the distribution of EngageMedia promotional materials within Myanmar
- Fluent Burmese, advanced English
- Advanced editorial and journalism skills
- Online and offline communication and outreach skills
- Online and offline content distribution skills
- Public and community engagement skills
- Leadership, management and community building skills – ability to draw people together and move them toward common goals
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills
- Strong networks in the activist, film, media, and non-profit sector nationally and in the region
- High level of organisational, interpersonal and motivational skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of new media industry developments, technologies and audience trends
- Ability to work independently, manage deadlines and take initiative
- Effective team player
- Ability to work across cultures
- Minimum 5 years experience in a related field
Skills that are good to have
- Training and event management skills
- Project management skills
- Video production skills
- Video compression for the web
- Basic knowledge of other Myanmar ethnic languages
Highly competitive international NGO staff wages.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and a cover letter (max 500 words) describing your interest in the position and why you want to work with EngageMedia. Please respond concisely to each of the selection criteria.
In a separate document, please provide the names and contacts of two referees.
Applications should be emailed to [email protected]
All applications with be kept strictly confidential. Only short-listed applicants will be notified.
The position will start in November, 2014.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the internet and free software technologies to create social and environmental change. We believe independent media and free and open technologies are fundamental to building the movements needed to challenge social injustice and environmental damage, as well as to provide and present solutions.
EngageMedia works with independent filmmakers, video activists, technologists, campaigners and social movements to generate wider audiences for their vital messages and move people to action.
Find out more about us at https://engagemedia.org