Apply by: October 20, 2014
THE ASEAN SECRETARIAT INVITES INDONESIAN CITIZENS OR ASEAN NATIONALS WITH PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS IN INDONESIA TO APPLY FOR THE FOLLOWING VACANCY
TECHNICAL OFFICER AIPA, ASEAN FOUNDATION, AICHR AND ENTITIES ASSOCIATED WITH ASEAN DIVISION
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat is the nerve centre of ASEAN, a regional inter-governmental organisation founded in 1967, to promote peace and stability, sustained economic growth, shared prosperity and social progress. It comprises the ten countries of Southeast Asia.
The entry into force of the ASEAN Charter on 15 December 2008 had provided new impetus to ASEAN’s integration efforts by establishing a legal and institutional framework required to achieve the ASEAN Community by 2015. This includes the newly approved organisational structure of the ASEAN Secretariat that is aligned to the requirements of the Charter and the three Blueprints of the ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC), the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), and the ASEAN Socio- Cultural Community (ASCC). The ASEAN Secretariat is therefore well positioned to provide the necessary functions required to effectively support the community building process under the Charter and the Blueprints.
Currently the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Technical Officer who will work under the AIPA, ASEAN Foundation, AICHR and Entities Associated with ASEAN Division, Community Affairs Development Directorate, Community & Corporate Affairs Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the incumbent will cover, but not be limited to the following
1. Perform tasks as the Communications Officer for the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR)
- Function as the developer and webmaster for AICHR’s regional website;
- Provide assistance and technical knowledge sharing with Member State on setting up national website on AICHR;
- Plan and organise AICHR-communication related events- book launch, website launch;
- Perform daily news monitoring and report on activities related to AICHR and human rights nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Provide analysis and synthesis of human rights development in the region and internationally;
- Draft and edit public information materials such as AICHR’s press releases, booklets, factsheets, presentations and other forms of information dissemination as well as liaise with the publisher and the relevant divisions in the ASEAN Secretariat on the printing of new AICHR publications;
- Develop communication strategies for AICHR and human rights;
- Assist AICHR in the dissemination of the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration
- Maintain and manage the AICHR database, information system, reports and resources.
2. Provide assistance to pre-, during and post-meetings
- Prepare provisional agenda and tentative programme, document kit, as well as prepare concept papers and/or briefing notes;
- Service meetings- amendments to documents, note-taking, distribution of documents;
- Prepare meeting report/summa ry record, circulation of outcome documents;
- Follow up on decisions and agreements m ade at the AICHR Meetings.
- Drafting of letters for the consideration of AICHR
3. Provide technical advice, recommendations and administrative support
- Conduct collation, research and analysis development on issues related to human rights;
- Assist in the development of projects and progra mmes;
- Monitor the utilisation of the AICHR Fund (contribution and disbursement )
- Compile relevant documents for the meetings of AICHR and any other meetings as requested;
- Coordinate meeting logistics with the host country;
- Coordinate the follow-up actions and decisions.
4. Facilitate communication and cooperation among ASEAN Member States and other relevant stakeholders
- Attend CPR and CPR-Working Group meetings under relevant agendas;
- Represent the ASEAN Secretariat and serve as a resource person when needed;
- Draft and summarize reports, prepare briefing notes/talking points, speeches, moderate discussions and deliver presentations;
- Attend and summarise meetings with external partners;
- Any other matters as directed by the Division or Directorate.
5. Prepare the annual budget of the Division for travel and hosting of meetings, as well as monitor the utilisation of said budget throughout the financial year.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Law, Human Rights, Communications, Development Studies, International Relations, Social Sciences or an appropriate related field or discipline with a minimum five (5) years of relevant work experience in technical role. Human rights knowledge and experience is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge, research and technical skills in human rights and the ability to acquire them.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organise tasks and work flows, with proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative work practices.
- Proven skills in problem solving in a complex organisational environment and in work planning.
- Ability to multi-task, work long and irregular hours, perform tasks outside the usual job scope, and willingness to travel frequently on short notice.
- Good command of English, written and spoken.
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook where relevant to the position.
Remuneration and Benefits
Successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration package including monthly transportation allowance, outpatient medical reimbursement, hospitalisation insurance, and annual bonus of a month’s basic salary. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the 6-month probationary period. Successful candidate is expected to be on-board by 1 December 2014.
How to apply
Send your application to email@example.com highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form with recent photograph, which can be downloaded at www.asean.org.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Technical Officer AICHR.
Application documents should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by
20 October 2014