May 6, 2022
Other Event in Australia
The Sydney Southeast Asia Centre at the University of Sydney will organize a face-to-face event titled ‘Politics in Action 2022: Updates from Southeast Asia’. The event will also be livestreamed to Facebook so you can watch from the comfort of your own home.
When: Friday 6 May 2022, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM (GMT+11/Australian Eastern Time)
Where: Lecture Theatre 1050, Abercrombie Business School, The University of Sydney, Camperdown Campus
Drawing upon expertise from around the world, these presentations will provide up-to-date information on developments in Southeast Asia relevant to scholars, students, practitioners and the general public.
In this one-day public forum, invited experts will provide an analysis of the current political situation in Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam, and discuss the broader implications of events in these countries for our region.
In 2022, our exciting lineup of speakers includes:
- Indonesia – Dr Ken Setiawan (The University of Melbourne)
- Lao PDR – Dr Andrea Haefner (Griffith University)
- Malaysia – Dr Azmil Tayeb (Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- The Philippines – Assistant Professor Maria Elize H. Mendoza (University of the Philippines Diliman)
- Timor-Leste – Professor Michael Leach (Swinburne University)
- Vietnam – Khac Giang Nguyen (Victoria University)
Each of our country-specialists will present for 15 to 20 minutes, followed by a short Q&A session. They are instructed to pitch their talk to an interested, but not necessarily academic, audience so the talks are able to be enjoyed by a wide range of people. These talks should be particularly valuable to non-political scientists working in one or more Southeast Asian countries.